Inside Story - Is Russia's democracy under threat?
Inside Story - Is Russia's democracy under threat?Russia's parliament, known as the Duma, has passed the third reading of a bill that would label NGOs accepting international funding as "foreign agents". Opposition groups say the law is just the latest attempt by Vladimir Putin, Russia's president, to stifle opponents. Earlier this week, Russia's parliament approved a controversial information law that empowers the government to unilaterally block websites. Some say it is a step forward in the fight against pornography, but opponents fear it is just another restriction on civil society. They say once the technology is in place to block certain sites there is nothing to stop it being used to block and censor others. After Putin's inauguration in May, a host of controversial laws have passed through parliament. In early June, the Duma passed a law drastically raising fines from 50 to 9,000 US dollars for participation in unsanctioned rallies. As for the organisers of illegal protests they will be fined around $30,000. The Duma is now considering another bill re-introduncing drastic penalties for libel: five years in jail and a fine of $15,000. Defamation was decriminalised under Dimitry Medvedev, the former Russian president. The decriminalisation of speech offenses is not the only Medvedev initiative that has come under re-examination following Putin's return to power. Is the traditional opposition being marginalised in the political struggles of the new Putin era? Inside Story, with presenter Sami Zeidan, is joined by guests: Vyacheslav Nikonov, the Russian State Duma deputy, and a member of the United Russia party; Oleg Kozlovsky, the director of a pro-democracy NGO, the Vision of Tomorrow Foundation; and Julia Pettengill, the co-chair of the Russia Studies Centre, at the Henry Jackson Society. Video News Inside Story - Is Russia's democracy under threat?
Knowledge is Power. Enter your email.
Watch videos news in the "Video News" category of USA from here:
Latest Video News :
- Raw: Calif. Storm Brings Flooding
- Ind. Man Says He Will Remove Romney Face Tattoo
- News Bulletin - 19:30 GMT update
- Talking 'The Amazing Race' With Jaymes and James
- Attorney: Lohan 'Probably' Looking at Jail Time
- Lucky Mo. Town Post Powerball: 'It's About Time'
- Ricky Martin Heads to the Small Screen
- Raw: 3 Dead After Attack at Wyo. College
- US fiscal cliff could put economy into recessions
- Egyptians Protest Draft Constitution
- World AIDS Day 2012 More Hopeful Than in Past
- Political factions in Egypt try to muster support
- NTSB Chair: 'Significant Damage to the Bridge'
- 49ers Smith: 'No Resentment' After Benching
- UN approves Palestinian status upgrade
- Weeks Later, Assessing Sandy Damage in N.J.
- Palestinians Get Non-Member State Status in Historic UN Vote
- Exhumation of Arafat's body underway
- Little Big Town Fights Against Child Hunger
- Minn. Homeowner Charged in Fatal Shootings
- Family Swept to Sea Mourned in Northern Calif.
- White House: Consumer Spending Will Decline Unless Congress Averts Fiscal Cliff
- Game Kill
- Palestinians Blame Israel for Economic Slump
- News on Al Jazeera English created by aje
- Stream Leads 26/11/2012
- Muslim Women Host Fundraiser for Sandy Victims
If you liked "Inside Story - Is Russia's democracy under threat?" find more news:
Also in English: