Mexican natives slam 'protection' measures for their sacred lands
Mexican natives slam 'protection' measures for their sacred landsMexico's government says it will protect thousands of acres of land considered sacred by the Huichol Indian tribe, which inspired a protest movement against a Canadian company's silver-mining concessions in the northern desert area called Wikiruta. The land became a focal point for environmentalists and indigenous activists after First Majestic announced plans to drill there. The natives' cause received backing from a wide variety of Mexican artists, intellectuals and civic groups objecting to the mining. Despite being hailed as a victory by the government, Huichol leaders have severely criticised the measures as a "media ploy", saying their holy land is still under threat. Rachel Levin reports from Mexico City. Video News Mexican natives slam 'protection' measures for their sacred lands
Knowledge is Power. Enter your email.
Watch videos news in the "Video News" category of USA from here:
Latest Video News :
- Raw: Calif. Storm Brings Flooding
- Ind. Man Says He Will Remove Romney Face Tattoo
- News Bulletin - 19:30 GMT update
- Talking 'The Amazing Race' With Jaymes and James
- Attorney: Lohan 'Probably' Looking at Jail Time
- Lucky Mo. Town Post Powerball: 'It's About Time'
- Ricky Martin Heads to the Small Screen
- Raw: 3 Dead After Attack at Wyo. College
- US fiscal cliff could put economy into recessions
- Egyptians Protest Draft Constitution
- World AIDS Day 2012 More Hopeful Than in Past
- Political factions in Egypt try to muster support
- NTSB Chair: 'Significant Damage to the Bridge'
- 49ers Smith: 'No Resentment' After Benching
- UN approves Palestinian status upgrade
- Weeks Later, Assessing Sandy Damage in N.J.
- Palestinians Get Non-Member State Status in Historic UN Vote
- Exhumation of Arafat's body underway
- Little Big Town Fights Against Child Hunger
- Minn. Homeowner Charged in Fatal Shootings
- Family Swept to Sea Mourned in Northern Calif.
- White House: Consumer Spending Will Decline Unless Congress Averts Fiscal Cliff
- Game Kill
- Palestinians Blame Israel for Economic Slump
- News on Al Jazeera English created by aje
- Stream Leads 26/11/2012
- Muslim Women Host Fundraiser for Sandy Victims
If you liked "Mexican natives slam 'protection' measures for their sacred lands" find more news:
Also in English: